Work spouse, work husband, work wife…
According to Wikipedia, a work spouse is a phrase, mostly in American English, referring to a co-worker, usually of the opposite sex, with whom one shares a special relationship, having bonds similar to those of a marriage.
Confession #1: I have 3 work wives. Yes – 3! That’s what happens when you work at a school with mostly women!
Confession #2: I wouldn’t trade them for anything. The experiences we share each day have created a strong bond – both in and out of the office.
Do you have a work spouse?
If you are unsure, read through these 10 signs to determine if you have a “work significant other.”
- You plan your lunches around each other’s schedules so you can sit together and talk.
- This person also knows how you order your coffee (non-fat milk, 3 sugars) and that you hate onions.
- Inside jokes are a common staple in conversion and text chains. Bring on the memes and hashtags.
- You run new ideas and concerns by them first and value their opinion. You trust them to tell you the truth.
- You can be honest and real with them. You can celebrate the good, but also support each other in the bad.
- When you don’t have a mirror, you trust them to check your teeth for food.
- In a meeting, you can slyly shoot each other a “look” and know you are thinking the same thing.
- They don’t judge you when you admit you still love watching The Bachelor.
- You show them pictures of clothes, shoes and jewelry before buying it and keep them up to date on all the sales.
- You miss them on the weekends and can’t wait to catch up on Monday.
I don’t know what I would do without my work wives. Not only do they make work fun and keep it interesting, they also support and encourage me daily. They are my sounding boards, shoulders to cry on, advice dealers, joke tellers, fashion gurus and hug givers.